If you’re a serious streamer, your computer’s in-built microphone simply isn’t going to cut it.
If you want to get across to your subscribers, you need superior technology with clear and engaging audio.
Unless you’re speaking into a top of the line microphone, your audience is going to hear a muffled, unclear shadow of the message you’re trying to convey.
And, believe me, they won’t stick around. That’s why your choice of podcasting/ streaming microphone is so important – after all, you only get one chance to make a first impression, right?
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks For Wireless Microphones For Streamers
- BEST OVERALL: Bietrun UHF Lavalier Lapel Microphone
- RUNNER-UP: Movo WMX-1 Lavalier Microphone System
- ALTERNATIVE: Shure BLX14/SM31 Microphone System with Bodypack
- ALTERNATIVE: Sony ECMW1M Microphone
- BEST WIRELESS: Bietrun Microphone Headset
In this article, we go in-depth to discover the 5 best podcast/streaming microphones for the everyday budget.
We’ll also provide you with an invaluable podcast sound guide along with the answers to your most pressing podcast sound questions. In short, we’ve got the definitive guide to podcast sound!
The Studio Genie is dedicated to helping streamers and YouTubers or anyone looking to have their own home studio. The author, Felicity Martinez, have been helping out streamers and YouTubers for years.
The goal is to provide a free resource for anyone looking to build a quality home studio. The reviews below are a result of hours of research and analysis. We provided the pros and cons and ranked each product to help you make a quick decision.
QUICK OVERVIEW: Our Top Picks for Wireless Microphones for Streamers
Bietrun UHF Lavalier Lapel Microphone
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Movo WMX-1 Lavalier Microphone System
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Shure BLX14/SM31 Microphone System with Bodypack
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Sony ECMW1M Microphone
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Bietrun Microphone Headset
|VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Best Wireless Microphone For Streamers – Reviews & Recommendations For 2021
Best Overall: Bietrun UHF Wireless Lavalier Lapel Microphone
The Bietrun UHF Wireless Lapel Microphone is the overall best wireless microphone system. It has a lightweight lapel design that can clip to your clothing and allows you to produce clean and clear audio for your streaming videos.
It also has a strong connection between the microphone and the transmitter. It can handle transmission up to 160ft (50m), and it eliminates any distortion, howling, or jamming of the signal.
This wireless microphone is also a good option for beginners. All you need to do is turn on the receiver and the microphone, and you can start speaking and recording.
The main disadvantage of this wireless microphone is that sometimes there are issues with sonic booms and other background noise. You must make sure that all of the screw caps are fully tight and that you don’t move the microphone too far from the receiver.
It also does not have the most extended battery life. Even though the company advertises 6 hours of battery life, you will struggle to achieve this with continuous use. This microphone offers you 2-3 hours at best, so it’s not ideal for long streaming sessions.
The Bietrun microphone is very compatible with multiple devices. It includes converters and adaptors that allow you to connect directly to speakers, amplifiers, smartphones, cameras, and more. You can also plug it into your laptop or desktop computer for easy recording.
We also like that you have a few placement options with this microphone. It can function as a headset, lapel, or handheld microphone. The receiver also has a design that fits on your belt like a buckle for easy transport.
If you’re looking for the best wireless lapel microphone, you should consider the Bietrun UHF Wireless Lapel Microphone. It combines simple design with reliability and a strong transmitter to make commentating your streamings even easier.
Runner-Up: Movo WMX-1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone System
The Movo WMX-1 is the runner-up for the best wireless lavalier microphone. It’s a premium mic with a receiver that can handle signals up to 200ft (60m) away. This receiver works on the 2.4Ghz frequency system and eliminates any interference in the transmissions.
We love the enhanced connectivity of this mic. It can plug in directly to multiple devices, including your camera, smartphone, or tablet. Therefore, you can create content on the go, no matter where you are in the world.
One of the disadvantages of this wireless microphone is the price. It is worth the investment for the level of quality that you get, but it’s not the most affordable option on the market.
There can also be some delay in transmission. This is particularly problematic if you are using more than one microphone in your setup because it can create an echoing sound effect. Therefore, you will need to use just this microphone or multiples of the same brand.
The wireless microphone system is an input for your headphones. This allows you to listen to your recordings in real-time and make adjustments to volume. This could significantly reduce the time needed to edit content in post-production.
The mic comes with a transmitter and receiver, both of which can attach to your belt, so you don’t lose them. Each of these components can handle up to 6 hours of continuous use, which is more than enough for a day of streaming.
We also like that it includes all cables for connecting to devices. The design is simple but accessible to those that are inexperienced with recording technology. Therefore, it’s perfectly suitable for beginners.
If you’re looking for a versatile wireless microphone with superior connectivity, you should take a closer look at the Movo WMX-1. It’s a pricier investment but has a durable design and a one-year warranty.
Alternative: Shure BLX14/SM31 Wireless Microphone System with Bodypack
The Shure BLX14/SM31 Wireless Microphone System with Bodypack is the best wireless headset microphone for talking. Fitness and workout streamers will love this system that is lightweight, portable, and clips onto the belt.
The microphone part sits on a headset, which is both comfortable resistant to moisture. This durable design allows you to exercise and talk at the same time without damaging the hardware.
You can put the compact transmitter in a belt pouch and clip the receiver to your belt for a truly portable setup.
One of the drawbacks of this wireless microphone system is the price. While it is worth the investment for its durability and ease of use, you will need to spend more at the start. If you are on a tight budget, this probably isn’t the best option.
It can also be annoying that the receiver settings are inside the unit. You must take off the battery cover to adjust channels or gain, which takes extra time and effort.
The headset also has a tight fit, so it may not be comfortable for larger heads. You can adjust its size, but not enough for some users.
The Shure wireless microphone has a strong signal connection and matches frequencies instantly. It also has access to multiple frequencies, selecting the fastest for smooth and uninterrupted streams.
We also love the extra-long battery life. This mic system can handle 14 hours of continuous use, which is significantly higher than the competitors. Overall, it has a durable and rugged construction that prevents damage to the unit.
If you’re looking to invest in a robust wireless microphone for fitness or dance streaming, you should consider the Shure BLX14/SM31. It can withstand vigorous activity without breaking or losing connection.
Alternative: Sony ECMW1M Wireless Microphone
The Sony ECMW1M is the best premium wireless microphone for streamers. It is also perfect for those who work in teams because of its two-way communication feature. The cameraman can give directions to the streamer and choose only to record both or only their voice.
It can maintain a strong signal up to 100ft (30m) away and uses a Bluetooth connection to sync the devices. This can be advantageous because there is no risk of interference like in radio systems.
The microphone system has a lightweight and compact design that can fit in your pocket or bag with ease. This is especially important if you travel a lot or move during your streaming videos.
The main drawback of this system is that Bluetooth connections cannot maintain their strength over distances. Therefore, it isn’t suitable if you will be moving around a lot or far from the receiver during your stream.
Furthermore, there are no controls for gain. Therefore, you will need to judge volume based on your hearing. This can be problematic because the sound can cut out when the volume gets too high.
The wireless microphone system can work directly with many different models of Sony camcorders. This can produce better video quality than a webcam, so it could be a great choice if you have other Sony products.
We like that both the receiver and the microphone have earphone jacks so you can hear the content as you speak. It allows you to listen to what you are saying and what the person with the receiver is saying.
If you have more than one person that works in your production team for streaming, you should take a close look at the Sony ECMW1M. It affords you the possibility of extended communication so you can grab better quality audio.
Best Wireless Headset Microphone: Bietrun Wireless Microphone Headset
The Bietrun Wireless Microphone Headset is the best budget wireless microphone. It pairs a budget-friendly price with a user-friendly design and excellent connectivity.
It maintains a strong radio signal up to 160ft (50m) and has a clear sound. In-built technology in the sensitive microphone minimizes the effects of howling and interference, ensuring that your spoken audio is clean and audible.
We like the connectivity of this wireless microphone system. You can use multiple microphones simultaneously, which is excellent if you use a large studio area. You can also use it directly with a desktop PC.
One of the disadvantages of this system is that it isn’t compatible with iPhones, Bluetooth speakers, Android phones, or Macbooks. This could be an issue if you like to work with those technologies in your streaming video production.
The headset has an overall small design, so it could be uncomfortable if you have a smaller head size. The wireless microphone also advertises 6 hours of battery power, but this decreases rapidly after continual use.
We like that the wireless microphone can connect to external speakers, an amplifier, and a PA system. This allows you to get the extra volume that otherwise wouldn’t be accessible. It also includes an adaptor for different kinds of loudspeakers.
You have the option to choose between the headset and handheld microphone setup. This flexibility allows you to stream content no matter what activity you’re doing. The overall design is very lightweight and portable.
If you’re looking for the best cheap wireless microphone, you can’t go wrong with the Bietrun Wireless Microphone Headset. It delivers all the benefits of wireless audio production without breaking the bank.
Wireless Microphone FAQ
How do I choose a wireless microphone?
When choosing a wireless microphone for streaming, there are a few factors to consider:
- Size: Wireless microphones range from full-sized models to small units that can fit in your pocket. If you are going to stream with a lapel mic, you should opt for a small unit that won’t attract attention. Size is less critical with freestanding mics.
- Weight: If the wireless microphone attaches to your clothing or body, you should consider the weight. You may spend an hour or more with it on you, so the lightweight design is vital. A lighter microphone is also easier to transport if you travel a lot.
- Setup Design: You have the option between lapel mics, headset microphones, bodypacks, and handheld units. If you need to use your hands or move around in your streams, you should opt for a system that can hang off your clothing or attach it to you.
- Price: You could easily spend hundreds of dollars on a wireless microphone. However, you should consider your specific needs. Especially if streaming is a hobby, there are more affordable and still reliable mics on the market.
- Audio Quality: It is essential to choose a microphone that is sensitive enough to pick up your voice and doesn’t distort the audio. If you want your channel subscribers to stay engaged, they must be able to distinguish each of your words and the tone of your voice.
- Connection distance: Most wireless microphone receivers can work from a distance of between 100-300ft (30-91m). If you try to separate the two units further than their limit, the connection will drop out. You should consider the layout of your studio for streaming.
- The number of channels: Wireless microphone receivers can pick up a limited number of channels. It’s essential to use a channel that doesn’t have other activity on it to avoid interference. Therefore, having access to more channels is beneficial.
- Battery Life: Many wireless microphones use battery packs to run. These usually last a few hours at a time, but it depends on the brand. If you record long videos frequently, it could be worth choosing a mic with long battery life and rechargeable power.
- Durability: Especially if you choose a more expensive wireless mic, you want to be sure that it’s a good investment. Selecting a microphone with durable materials could give you years of use and justify the cost.
- Compatibility: If you use particular recording software, you might need to consider if your mic is compatible. You should also choose a microphone that can work together with your speaker system and amplifier.
- Device connectivity: Some wireless mics can connect directly to your smartphone, camera, tablet, or other similar technology. If you use these in your streams, it’s worth choosing a microphone with this feature.
- Usability: Particularly if you are a novice in the world of audiovisual technology, user-friendly design is a plus. Simple design features can save you a lot of time and headaches.
- Warranty: Any technology is vulnerable to breaking or malfunctioning. Therefore, it could be beneficial to choose a brand that has at least one year’s warranty. This could save you having to shell out money to replace a faulty system completely.
Overall, there are many factors to consider when choosing the best wireless microphone for streamers. You should evaluate your actual needs before making a decision.
Can a wireless mic work with any receiver?
A wireless mic cannot work with any receiver. There are limitations on which microphones work with which receivers because of the frequencies that they use, encryption technologies, and proprietary design.
Wireless microphones and receivers communicate with each other via frequencies. They send their audio information in the form of radio waves. If the frequencies are not the same, they cannot exchange information. Therefore, the wireless mic and receiver must use the same one.
For this reason, companies usually design their microphones and receivers to work together. They may also use proprietary technology that prevents you from mixing different brands. By creating incompatible software, the companies ensure you stick with their product.
Lastly, many wireless microphones use encryption/decryption technology to transmit information to their receiver. There are various encryption types, which need to have the corresponding class and decryption key. They cannot work with receivers that don’t have this.
Overall, it is improbable that you will be able to use a wireless microphone with a receiver from a different brand. It’s better to buy them together and know that they are compatible.
How do I set up multiple wireless microphones?
If you want to enhance the audio quality of your streams, you might consider a setup with multiple wireless microphones. This allows you to grab audio from different angles and parts of the room for a more immersive experience.
You must be mindful that you can’t use more than one microphone with your receiver because they will interfere. You also need to set each microphone and its corresponding receiver to different frequencies. Otherwise, you may get that piercing interference sound.
Many receivers can automatically choose frequencies that have minimal interference. However, you may need to manually select frequencies if your receivers want to work on the same one.
You will need to make sure that each microphone and receiver has a power source. You will also need to maintain some distance between each unit to avoid interference.
Can I connect the microphone to an amplifier?
An amplifier is a handy tool if you want to increase the volume of your audio.
This is especially important if you want your voice to be more audible over any background noise. It can make it more straightforward for your audience and easier for them to understand you.
To connect a wireless microphone to an amplifier, you can follow these steps:
- Turn on your microphone’s receiver and extend its antenna if it uses one.
- Make sure that the microphone has enough battery life and turn it on.
- Check that your microphone and receiver are connected and on the same frequency. You can check this on the receiver.
- Grab your amplifier and turn it on.
- Grab your XLR cable and connect it between your receiver and amplifier.
- Customize your volume and test that the connection is working.
In conclusion, wireless microphones are an essential tool for streamers who want professional videos.
They allow you to raise your voice volume, increase the quality of audio, and create more engaging content.
The overall best wireless microphone for streamers is the Bietrun UHF Wireless Lavalier Lapel Microphone. We love its hands-free and user-friendly design that allows you to record high-quality audio. It’s also very affordable.
When looking for a wireless microphone for streaming, you should consider the strength of its receiver and its compatibility. You should also evaluate the quality of audio that it allows, its portability, and durability. Overall, you can’t go wrong with any of the mics in this guide!
Did you like the article? Please rate it: